Interstate Alcohol and Drug Safety Action Program

The Dorchester Alcohol and Drug Commission

This program is for anyone who has been convicted of driving under the influence (DUI) on their South Carolina driving record and is living out of the State of South Carolina; or if you have an out-of-state drivers license and receive a conviction of driving under the influence (DUI) in the State of South Carolina.

You must complete the following requirements to be eligible for the Interstate Alcohol and Drug Safety Action Program (IADSAP) and to receive a recommendation from this office that your driving privileges be reinstated:

1.Send proof of permanent residency of another state (e.g., copy of a check stub, telephone or electric bill, other official document). South Carolina residents are not eligible for IADSAP.

2. The processing fee is $150 effective July 1, 2015. Send your processing fee by money order or certified check to the IADSAP Office. Credit card payments are also accepted by completing the credit card payment form attached to the applicant letter or by calling finance at 843-871-4790. Personal checks are not accepted. Fees will be returned to applicants who are deemed ineligible for IADSAP. Once an applicant is accepted into the program, the fee is non-refundable.

3. Forward a copy of your 10-year South Carolina driving record to the IADSAP Office. You must request that the SCDMV send you a copy of your driving record and reinstatement requirements using a Request for Driver Information form (MV-70).

4. Send a signed and witnessed Release of Confidential Information (ROI) form to the IADSAP Office. This form requires two signatures.

5. Submit the Recommendation for Relicensing form that will be completed by a certified and/or licensed drug and alcohol counselor.  Once you complete your assessment and the minimum of a 16-hour education program, the counselor will complete the form and then it should be returned to the IADSAP office by fax, email or mail.

All of the above documentation must be mailed to this office in one envelope. We will not review your application for acceptance into IADSAP if it does not contain all four items listed above. Once we receive the complete packet you will receive a reply from our office notifying you of the status of your paperwork within 10 working days. Applicants accepted into IADSAP will receive instructions, a referral letter and forms to give to the facility providing treatment services. Please refer to the enclosed list of frequently asked questions (FAQs) for information on other aspects of IADSAP.

Please contact the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) at 803-896-5000 or 1-800-442-1368 to determine other requirements for license clearance or reinstatement. You may also access the DMV at

To download the packet:

To watch a short video with step-by-step instructions:

If you do not have a browser loaded on your computer in order to read the downloaded information please see to download free the Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What is ADSAP?
A. The Alcohol and Drug Safety Action Program (ADSAP) is not a class or a “DUI school”. ADSAP is a comprehensive program that requires each participant to be clinically assessed for risk factors related to driving under the influence (DUI) and other problems associated with alcohol and other drug abuse. Based on the clinical assessment, an individual may be required to complete education and/or treatment services. ADSAP is responsible for notifying the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles of all successful and unsuccessful completions of ADSAP.

Q. Is a “DUI school” acceptable?
A. A DUI school or class alone cannot be substituted for participation in ADSAP. South Carolina’s ADSAP standards require that a clinical assessment be conducted by a Certified Addictions Counselor prior to an individual’s participation in a DUI school. (To locate a Certified Addictions Counselor, consult the Yellow Pages listings for “Alcoholism Information & Treatment Centers,” “Drug Abuse & Addiction – Information & Treatment,” etc.) If the clinical assessment determines that a DUI school will address the DUI risk factors identified by the clinical assessment, participation in the school will be accepted. An individual should not enroll in a DUI school until a Certified Addictions Counselor has conducted a clinical assessment of him/her. DUI schools that provide an assessment or objective testing as part of their curriculum do not meet South Carolina’s standards for a clinical assessment.

Q. I went through a program in another state more than 12 months ago. Do I need to go through another program?
A. South Carolina’s standards require that services not be more than 12 months old. The first step in ADSAP is for accepted applicants to receive a clinical assessment. Based on the clinical assessment, the Certified Addictions Counselor conducting the assessment will determine current risk for DUI and make appropriate recommendations.

Q. I live in South Carolina, but I already completed a program in another state. If I send you the certificate, can you inform the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)?
A. If you are a resident of South Carolina, you must go through your county alcohol and drug abuse authority.

Q. My DUI was more than 10 years ago. Do I still have to go through ADSAP?
A. Yes. You must complete the requirements outlined in the packet you receive from the Interstate ADSAP (IADSAP) Office. There is no stature of limitations on DUI charges received after July 1982.

Q. Why do I have to pay $150 if I am not going through ADSAP?
A. The Dorchester Alcohol and Drug Commission, which houses the IADSAP Office, charges an administrative fee. This fee is for processing paperwork and filling out the legal forms that must be submitted to the DMV to restore an individual’s driving privileges.

Q. What if a notary public is not available in the facility where my Recommendation for Relicensing form is completed?
A. If no notary public is available in the facility, the counselor completing the form must have a co-worker witness his/her signature. The witness must then sign the form on the “Notary/Witness” line and circle “Witness” under his/her signature.

Q. How do I obtain a copy of my 10-year driving record?
A. You must complete a Request for Driver Information form (MV-70) and mail it, along with $6, to the DMV. It takes approximately two weeks to receive the record.

Q. What if I have never had a South Carolina driver’s license?
A. The DMV will assign you a South Carolina driving record when you are convicted of a DUI.

Q. What if I have not had a license for 10 years?
A. You must request a 10-year driving record regardless of how long you have been driving.

If you encounter problems please call Interstate ADSAP Services at (843) 821-5412.

Community Information


Dorchester Alcohol & Drug Commission is extremely proud to announce that it has recently been issued its 10th consecutive 3-year […]

Scheduled DADC Telehealth Options

During the time of the COVID-19 Pandemic, DADC wants to continue to reach out and provide services to our clients. […]

Dorchester Alcohol and Drug Commission was “Voted Best Rehab Facility (for sobriety)” 2020

Thank you to all the individuals who voted and chose Dorchester Alcohol and Drug Commission. HealthLinks Charleston Magazine printed the […]

What's Happening