Narcan, Fentanyl Test Strips, and Xylazine Test Strips available here.

Alcohol and Drug Safety Action Program

Because thousands of South Carolinians are killed or injured in alcohol or other drug related traffic accidents each year, South Carolina Alcohol and Drug Safety Action Program (SC ADSAP) works with offenders to reduce risk and improve safety on SC roads and highways. SC ADSAP services are certified by the SC Department of Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse Services (SC DAODAS) and are available in each of the state’s 46 counties.

The South Carolina Alcohol and Drug Safety Action Program (SC ADSAP) is a statewide education and treatment program designed for:

  • individuals who are convicted of driving under the influence (DUI); and
  • individuals whose licenses are suspended through the state’s Administrative License Revocation (ALR) “zero tolerance” policy. (This is in addition to a charge of DUI for drivers of any age who operate a vehicle with a blood alcohol concentration [BAC] of .15 percent or greater). An individual is also subject to ALR if s/he refuses a blood, breath or urine test to detect the presence of alcohol or other drugs.

Enrollment for SC ADSAP at the Dorchester Alcohol & Drug Commission (DADC) is by appointment only. Please call 843.871.4790 or stop by the office to schedule your enrollment date.

Please make arrangements to be here for 3 hours.

To complete enrollment please bring the following:

  • A current copy of your 10-year driving record from SC Department of Motor Vehicles (SC DMV). Copies from DMV web site are not acceptable.
  • A copy of the DUI conviction ticket if conviction is not shown on the driving record
  • A copy of reinstatement requirements from DMV
  • ADSAP fee is $500, ($250 minimum deposit required at Enrollment). DADC accepts cash, check, MasterCard, Visa Discover.

Questions & Answers for Individuals Convicted of DUI

1. Must I enroll in SC ADSAP if I am convicted of driving under the influence (DUI) or Administrative License Revocation (ALR)?
Yes, in order to reinstate your driver’s license you must enroll within 30 days and successfully complete SC ADSAP.

2. How do I enroll in SC ADSAP?
Within 30 days of conviction, attend any Monday or Tuesday morning orientation. It is important for you to enroll immediately after your conviction because it could take you as long as twelve months to successfully complete the program.

3. What happens if I don’t complete SC ADSAP?
The SC DMV will not consider reinstating your driver’s license. If you were convicted after February 10, 2009 and you failed to enroll in ADSAP within 30 days of conviction, you will be held in contempt of court.

4. What is involved in SC ADSAP?
Upon your enrollment, you will expected to participate in an evaluation to determine problems that most likely contributed to your DUI. You will work with a clinician to develop goals and participate in education and/or treatment. Successful completion of SC ADSAP is based on whether you have reduced your risk of committing another DUI.

5. How long will it take me to complete ADSAP?
You will receive services based on individual needs. The time period for ADSAP varies for each participant. Individuals usually complete services by the end of their suspension period.

6. Is there a cost for ADSAP?
Yes. The cost for educational services provided through ADSAP is $500. However, fees for any treatment services required by the program vary and can cost up to $2000. The total cost of all services cannot exceed $2,500.

7. May I drive while I am participating in ADSAP?
First-time DUI offenders who meet certain requirements may obtain a provisional driver’s license from the DMV:
You must have had a valid SC driver’s license at the time of your violation.

Your DUI conviction must be the first within a 10-year period.

Your driver’s license must not be suspended for any other reason.

You must provide proof of SR22 insurance to the DMV.

You must enroll in ADSAP and make satisfactory progress.

First-time offenders who do not obtain a provisional driver’s license and subsequent DUI offenders may not drive during their suspension period and must pay a relicensing fee to the DMV.

8. What should I do if I move out of state after being convicted of DUI in South Carolina?
Enroll in SC ADSAP and follow treatment recommendations. You may finish services in another state: please refer to Interstate Alcohol and Drug Safety Action Program Please note that a provisional driver’s license is no longer valid when you move out of state.

9. What happens if I am convicted of DUI in SC but have an out-of-state driver’s license?
Many states require you to complete SC’s DUI program prior to being relicensed. Please contact the driver licensing authority in your home state regarding you state’s requirements. If if you plan to obtain a SC driver’s license in the future, you must complete SC ADSAP. Note: If you no longer live in South Carolina, refer to Interstate Alcohol and Drug Safety Action Program

10. May I obtain a provisional driver’s license if I have an out-of-state driver’s license?
You may be eligible for a SC provisional permit if you enroll in SC ADSAP, meet the provisional driver’s license requirements (above) and maintain a valid out-of-state license.